From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:53:47
1 On Sunday 06 September 2009 21:12:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 06 September 2009 19:31:27 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 06 September 2009 10:49:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > One thing [kde:4] definitely is not, is the next evolution of KDE-3.
5 > > > Comparisons with KDE-3 are going result in disappointment
6 > >
7 > > Well, that seems to condemn v4 out of hand :-) . If it can't compare
8 > > favourably with its predecessor, what's it doing there at all?
9 >
10 > Read the post again. I said nothing about favourable, unfavourable or
11 > anything else like that.
12 >
13 > I only said that KDE4 is not KDE3 (doh...) so if you run KDE4 thinking
14 > you are going to get something like KDE3 you are going to be
15 > disappointed. It is not like KDE3, it is not built on KDE3, it is not an
16 > evolution of KDE3. It is different, and stands on it's own. Comparisons
17 > with KDE3 are unfair, sort of like comparing you with your father is
18 > unfair.
19
20 The way I read your words is equally valid. If I compare a later version
21 with its predecessor I don't expect to be disappointed.
22
23 > > I'm working quite hard at getting used to it (it's even the default
24 > > grub choice), but it's uphill all the way.
25 >
26 > Um, dude.... grub selects a kernel. Or an OS. But never a DE.
27 > The dm does that.
28
29 Depends how you have it set up. On this box I have two separate
30 installations: one with kde:3 and one with kde:4. I select the one I want
31 with grub entries.
34 Rgds
35 Peter