From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:57:09
1 Roy~
2 Thanks for the reply. I actually used genkernel to make the kernel. I used
3 'genkernel all'. That's why I'm a little confused as to why this didn't
4 take effect. The previous kernel was also built with genkernel and didn't
5 have any problems.
6
7 Regards,
8
9 JD
10
11 -----Original Message-----
12 From: Roy Wright [mailto:royw@×××××.com]
13 Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 5:27 PM
14 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
16
17 John Dangler wrote:
18
19 >hrmm...
20 >I recompile the new kernel, before rebooting, I run module-rebuild list...
21 >and get one entry - "=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4"
22 >
23 >So, I reboot the new kernel, and get no Ethernet, no wireless, no sound,
24 >nonvidia, and the vga mode is wrong. (the grub entry is an exact copy of
25 >the previous kernel).
26 >
27 >After the reboot, I run module-rebuild list, thinking that I would see all
28 >of those packages... nope. Only nvidia kernel.
29 >
30 >I'm missing something, here.
31 >
32 >Any input is appreciated.
33 >
34 >JD
38 When you rebuilt your kernel, did you:
39
40 # make menuconfig
41 # make && make modules_install && make install
42
43 The make modules_install should bring your network
44 and other modules online...
45
46 The make install will copy the kernel to your boot
47 partition.
48
49 HTH,
50 Roy