From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:39:27
1 On 11/22/05, Nagatoro <nagatoro@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > >>Therefore we can deduce that anyone who wants a harder install is a
4 > >>hobbyist, dilettante, and a dabbler.
5 > >
6 > > no, I want an installation, that filters out everybody too dumb to read the
7 > > fucking manual.
8 >
9 > Or the FAQ? Where it's described how to do a stage1/2 equivalent install
10 > from a stage3.
11
12 Gentoo is widely documented, and if you can read, most answers are
13 already at the wikis, howtos, gentoo docs and mailing lists, add to
14 this the foruns and user groups. Gentoo has a knowledge base that can
15 make you solve most problems, of course, if its one of those HARD
16 issues, you can always ask, but then again, those are 10% (if all of
17 that) from our traffic.
18
19 So, yes, the install was a "how to read and follow the manual"
20 teaching, and stage3 is easier and taught less than stage1, but hey,
21 its faster and have less side effects, and besides, if you can get a
22 stage1 from a stage3, who cares?!
23
24 But again, we'll have lots of RTFM and STFW in our foruns and mailing
25 lists... If you can find the manual page, don't give them the
26 solutions, give the link instead, teaching someone how to fish feeds
27 for a lifetime, giving someone the fish itself only feed once.
28
29 > --
30 > Naga
31 > --