From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Splitting large audio files into tracks
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 21:46:23
1 On 02/01/2016 23:42, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-01-02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have quite a few large audio rip files that need to be split up
5 >> into their respective tracks.
6 > [...]
7 >> I very seldom work with audio files directly, so I'm mostly clueless
8 >> in this area and it's easier to ask folks who do this often what
9 >> packages out there are good at it.
10 >
11 > I have only done it a few times, but I used audacity. It also allowed
12 > me to mix the two channels down to one (it was an audio book, and
13 > mixing the two channles reduced the tape hiss a little).
14
15 Good to know, I'll give is a try
18 >> Bonus points for packages that use musicbrainz or similar
19 >
20 > Not sure how an an audio editor would use something like that. After
21 > you use something like audacity (or just plain sox commands) to split
22 > the file into tracks, you'll have to use a separate program to set the
23 > MP3 tags.
26 I'm thinking that musicbrainz knows the tracks and how long they are. If
27 I supply the exact correct release, and editor could do the splitting at
28 the correct point (so I don't have to guess)
29
30 If the editor can't update the metadata, then beets can.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com