From: Harry <hputnam3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:40:55
1 Harry <hputnam3 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > How can one tell how far along a kernel compile is? I can see the
5 > modules being built in /var/log/genkernel.log
6 > (Aside: Please, no hysteria about using genkernel)
7 >
8 > But I'd like to know of some way to guesstimate how much of the process is
9 > completed. Is there a list the compile has generated and is following
10 > somewhere under /usr/src/linux? Or some other way of knowing where the
11 > compile is in terms of percentage completed?
12
13 Just reporting a further bit on this:
14 You might think that tailing the log output and grepping for the module names
15 in .config would be one way, and I suppose it is, but no directly because the
16 compile does not appear to follow .config all the time.
17
18 Seems to follow closely when there modules in a row, but then jumps to whole
19 different sections... so still not very helpful