From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Who mount sysfs?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:57:54
1 On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM, SOrCErEr <omentie@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > 2009/3/24 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
5 >>
6 >> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:38 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:
7 >> > Hello,
8 >> >
9 >> > My gentoo system has a problem.
10 >> > It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.
11 >> > I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.
12 >> >
13 >> > Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc
14 >> > script was added in sysinit service.
15 >> > So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process
16 >> > in general.
17 >>
18 >> Your friends at udev.
19 >>
20 >> The "need sysfs" means that udev needs the sysfs service to start. Of
21 >> course it's wrapped around a "if [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]; then"... so
22 >> is that file missing?
28 > No, that isn't. That file exists.
29 > So I tested like below.
30 >
31 > /etc/init.d/udev stop
32 > /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
33 > /etc/init.d/udev start
34 > /etc/init.d/sysfs status
35 >
36 > Result is
37 > "* status: stopped"
38 >
39 > Actually, sysfs rc strip has no "stop" function. So sysfs is not unmounted.
40 > But in my opinion, status of sysfs must be "started" after udev started.
41 >
42 > ...
43 >
44 > I fix this problem while I write this mail.
45 >
46 > I renamed sysfs rc strip filename and restarted udev to check whether it
47 > fails or not.
48 > And I confirmed it failed.
49 > Then restored sysfs rc strip filename and started udev.
50 >
51 > Surprisingly sysfs started automatically before start udev. It fixed.
52 >
53 > Still I don't know why it happened. It's very confuse
54 >
55 > Anyway, thank you for your help:)
56 > Your comments are helping me to do some more things:)
59 I think /etc/init.d/sysfs just sets up the mounts and then exits, so
60 there is no need for a "stop" since it is never in a "running" state
61 (well, maybe for a split second). there is no sysfs daemon and running
62 status of /etc/init.d/sysfs does not indicate whether or not sysfs is
63 mounted. I think you should check /proc/mounts for that. But I could
64 be wrong. :)