From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /home becoming readonly every night
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:07:32
1 On Thursday 25 August 2005 16:46, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > I had a Maxtor drive die just after the one-year warranty expired. We had
3 > one server with Maxtors that died twice in one year.
4 >
5 > Because of this, we now have a "Seagate-only" policy for hard-drives -
6 > they may cost a bit more but they're reliable and many come with a three
7 > year warranty.
8
9 Maxtors RMA process is exceptionally quick and simple though, as long as the
10 drive is still detectable by the BIOS. Their warranty periods are 3 year and
11 above now too.
12 All you pay is postage back to Maxtor (in Ireland for the UK).
13
14 I've sent 7-8 back, and had replacements about a week or so after returning
15 them. 3 200's I sent back got replaced with 250's!
16
17 No, I don't work for Maxtor!
18 And yes, I avoid Maxtors now!
21 Mike Williams