From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:38:32
1 On 10/22/2011 02:27 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I'm asked for a desktop antivirus (the box is running KDE) but I have never
5 > used an antivirus on Linux. This page that I googled up shows a number of
6 > them:
7 >
8 > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/
9 >
10 > Meanwhile, portage only lists clamav under app-antivirus/.
11 >
12 > The machine in question is running kmail to receive/send messages from ISP
13 > mail servers and ssmtp to send log messages for relaying via said ISP.
14 >
15 > What have you tried and what would you recommend for such a desktop setup?
16
17 You don't need one. Linux anti-virus programs are there to protect
18 Windows installations (Windows executables passing through a Linux box).
19 Since you said "Desktop", I assume you meant protect against Linux
20 viruses. Since there aren't any Linus viruses, there's no need for
21 something like that.