From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 11:17:41
1 On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 2:43 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
2 <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
4 > On Monday, August 17, 2020 3:48 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Rent VPS and be your own admin. But running properly configured
7 > > mail-server is not so easy. Setting up postfix/exim/sendmail
8 > > is just a beginning. If you mean it seriously and do not want
9 > > your IP to land on blacklists (and you vps suspended), there is
10 > > much more to do, i.e. spf, dkim, dmarc, dnssec, etc...
11 >
12 > would i get blacklisted for simply not using
13 > spf/dkim/etc? even if no other user is using the
14 > mail service other than me and i'm not mass
15 > mailing?
16
17 It is up to the individual recipient's email admin, but increasingly
18 the answer is yes. Your biggest issue will be IP reputation, however.
19 IPs that are assigned to consumers are almost always blacklisted
20 regardless of what you're doing on your end, and the're blacklisted
21 before you even attempt to send your first message.
22
23 Personally I run my own server for reception, but all my outgoing mail
24 either goes through Gmail or Amazon SES, depending on whether Gmail
25 was used as the MUA. Sure, Amazon isn't free, but it is REALLY cheap
26 ($0.10 for 1000 emails, plus $0.12 per GB). I don't send that many
27 emails or much in attachments, so the bill is tiny. Gmail is free and
28 you can send outgoing messages from any email address that you
29 control.
30
31 Receiving email isn't a big deal though managing spam can be painful.
32 Sending it has become increasingly difficult because of others
33 managing spam, and IMO it isn't worth trying to deal with directly
34 unless you're a large concern.
37 Rich