From: Alexandru Mincu <mincua@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Putting gentoo to work :)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:50:36
1 Hi guys,
2 I have(or better may have) a project to build and maintain a company's
3 network.
4 I was thinking into proposing gentoo since it's got my heart, but I have
5 some questions about which things should i use for a base installation.
6 My setup will look like this:
7 big server with 2 or 3 gigabit ethernet cards and lots of sata drives in a
8 big raid array.
9 disk less workstations with 512mb or 1gb of ram, nvidia or integrated video
10 and a gigabit ethernet card.
11 and of course a gigabit ethernet switch.
12
13 First of all let's start with the clients...
14 I am a Gnome fan and I think it is better and simpler to use, but them if
15 you have windows users that you want to put to use linux, kde might be a
16 better option... although this is a matter of taste I would accept some
17 suggestions(without killing each other here), bu please take in
18 consideration all the things i want to add.
19
20 Things required:
21 Email,
22 Calendar sharing,
23 IM,
24 Office suite,
25 other bullshit managers use to put you to work(suggestions accepted here) :)
26 Web browsing,
27 A content management system
28
29 I also think that some eye candy would be gr8 to have ... I tried both
30 compiz and beryl, but none were stable for me... it's true i was using
31 nvidia's beta driers but anyway. have any of you tried compiz or beryl?
32 which one is really stable and ready to use for a company? Is the
33 Xgl+(compiz|beryl) variant stable? I for one really liked beryl's features
34 but it seems to be more unstable than compiz.
35
36 Now for updates .. which profile do you think would better suit a company ..
37 should I use hardend gentoo? Is there a version of gentoo that keeps things
38 down with the upgrades to stable packages or I should keep my own tree and
39 sync only the stuff I want and test into it?
40
41 Now the nice part,
42 What about the disk less clients? is there a way to keep a stable file
43 system for all the workstations without requiring to copy all the base files
44 for each workstation? It would be nice to be able to dynamical add
45 workstations to the network without requiring admin intervention...
46 >From what I have seen in the gentoo diskless faq it suggested doing an
47 separate dir for each client in the network....
48
49 The big questions are:
50 What software/configurations would you use if you would want to do this with
51 gentoo?
52 What are the good points in using the system instead of using MS Windows
53 (besides the money)?
54
55 PS: Excuse my English.
56