From: Jakob <jak.gentoo@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia + glxgears slower than before
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:44:57
1 On 12/19/06, Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tuesday, 19 December 2006 9:42, Jakob wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > I have a strage problem, some month ago I bougth a new laptop (Core2duo
7 > > 1,83 Ghz + Geforce 7600).
8 > > The first thing I did was installing gentoo, and after X was finished I
9 > > installed the nvidia-driver an run glxgears to see the difference
10 > between
11 > > my old desktop and my new laptop.
12 > > I got about 10000.000 FPS and was happy. I continued installing the
13 > system
14 > > and built some new kernels to get all the things working like wlan etc.
15 > > some days later I run glxgears again and was shocked of the glxgears
16 > > output:
17 > >
18 > > 31189 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6237.635 FPS
19 > > 31163 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6232.600 FPS
20 > > 31178 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6235.511 FPS
23 > > since this time I never got more than 6400.000 FPS, I `ve tried to
24 > install
25 > > newer versions of nvidia-driver and the nvidia-driver from the nvidia
26 > page
27 > > but its not going over 6400.000 FPS. After some time I thougth maybe it
28 > > didnt run faster the first time and I was remembering wrong but than I
29 > saw
30 > > a forum entry from someone with the same notebook running fedoracore and
31 > he
32 > > postet his putput of glxgears and got about 10000.000 FPS.
33 > >
34 > > Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be???
35 > > I dont want to install gentoo again because everything else works fine.
36 > >
37 > > Thanks and Regards
38 > >
39 > > Jakob
40 >
41 > The problem is that glxgears is not a benchmark. Run some real programs
42 > and if
43 > you have performance problems with those, then you have something to worry
44 > about.
45 >
46 > --
47 > Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
48 > --
49 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
50 >
51 > Hmm ok, I still think its very strange that I didnt get that much FPS than
52 the first time an someone with the same notebook still does.
53
54 does someone know a benchmak tool for opengl?
55 I searched in portage but I didnt find one.
56
57 Regard
58
59 Jakob