From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java default Swing stile
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:04:58
1 On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Hi list!
4 >
5 > I've recently started both programming and using some Java applications
6 > (not that I would have a choice ...).
7 >
8 > Well, anyway, as it seems the default style for Swing is set to
9 > "Metal", Java's own rather ugly and non-conforming variant. Is there
10 > a way to set this to GTK, QT or whatever I have here other than
11 > through the functionality in the programs themeselve?
12 > Or is it really the Java-VM who's dictating what's the default for a
13 > given platform (Windows/Linux)?
14 >
15 > Thanks in advance!
16 >
17 > Florian Philipp
20 I think the JVM defaults to motif, it's supported on most platforms. I
21 found this on the web:
22
23 <start-quote>
24 Yes, it is possible.
25
26 In the ~/java/lib dir, create / edit a file with name swing.proprierties:
27
28 Change the line:
29
30 swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.CURRENTLO OKANDFEEL
34 swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLo okAndFeel
35 </end-quote>
36
37 Don't know if it works though?
38 --