From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vm still grinding away at compiling webkitgtk-2.14.2
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:57:15
1 On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:47:13 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > On my i7 machine with 16g of ram, webkit-gtk has got to take 4/5 hours
4 > > to compile. This is using an ssd.
5 >
6 > That vindicates my choice of an NVMe SSD for this box, which is also an
7 > i7 but with 32GB. Genlop shows it takes between 23 and 50 minutes here,
8 > depending on what else I'm doing I suppose. What a difference a direct
9 > connection makes!
10
11 There's more then the SSD to this. I get a similar result on my AMD9590
12 box with an NVMe SSD, but my i5 laptop with 8GB and a SATA SSD takes
13 "only" around 2-3 hours, on a system that should be significantly slower
14 than John's.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Code: (n.) a means of concealing bugs favored by programmers.
21 (v.) the process of concealing bugs by programming.