From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 00:28:20
1 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:24:06 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
6 >> level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
7 >> for others.(me)
8 >>
9 >> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
10 >> to stable, if that is even possible.
11 >
12 > Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie
13 >
14 > I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
15 > and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
16 > package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
17 > emerge output.
18 >
19 > It was horrible. It would have been easier to reinstall. But, being a
20 > pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!
21 >
22 > What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not do much updates for
23 > 6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not ideal from a security
24 > update POV, but better than nothing
25 >
26 > --
27 > Alan McKinnon
28 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
32 I'd have to agree with you, Alan. I tried switching from unstable to
33 stable once (and I'm still a newbie, so I was even more of a newb when
34 I tried) -- I just ended up reinstalling to keep my mind from melting.
35 This was on a standard Desktop/Gnome system, of course.