From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Secure remote backup
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:22:10
1 On Saturday 4 November 2006 13:56, Dan Johansson wrote:
2
3 > Me and a friend are looking into the possibility to do
4 > cross-site-remote-backups (I'm backing up my data to a directory in
5 > his box and he on mine). We want the connection and remote-storage to
6 > encrypted and we do not want to open too many ports in our firewalls.
7 > Any suggestions on how this could be accomplished?
8
9 Backuppc (it's in portage) uses rsync over ssh, so you only need to open
10 a single port in the firewall. Optionally, backuppc offers an http
11 interface to monitor its status, so maybe you'll want to open port 80 as
12 well.
13 Use an encrypted filesystem to store backups, and you should be done.
14
15 Note: the above setup probably needs some work if you want full
16 automation.
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list