From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:17:04
1 On 20/02/2014 11:16, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
4 > 20.02.2014 09:24, Canek Peláez Valdés пишет:
5 >> [ snip ]
6 >>> but I do not see the point, beyond as a nice gimmick.
7 >>
8 >> Well, I *do* see a point. Many points, actually. You want the logs for
9 >> SSH, from February 12 to February 15? Done:
10 >>
11 >> journalctl --since=2014-02-12 --until=2014-02-15 -u sshd.service
12 >>
13 >> No grep. No cat. No hunting logrotated logs (the journal will rotate
14 >> automatically its logs, and will search on all logs available). You
15 >> can have second-precision intervals.
16 >>
17 >> Also, the binary format that the journal uses is indexed (hence the
18 >> binary part); therefore, the search is O(log n), no O(n). With a log
19 >> with a million entries, that's about 20 steps.
20 >>
21 >> Perhaps it's just a gimmick to you. For me is a really usefull
22 >
23 > Clearly, it's reinventing a wheel. All that indexing stuff and O(log(n))
24 > if really needed is easily achieved with databases.
25 > Not using cat and grep is not something one'd boast; rather, again, a
26 > waste of resources to recreate already existing tools.
27 > BTW, I wonder if anyone does really have logs with millions of lines in
28 > one single file, not split into files by date, service etc, so that the
29 > whole O(n) issue is moot.
30
31 I have logs like that. It's not an uncommon scenario.
32
33 > Well, maybe it'd be nice to have a collection of log management tools
34 > all-in-one but beyond that I don't see any advantages of systemd-journald.
35
36 The immediate feature-add that syslog needs is arbitrary facilities, not
37 the 16 fixed ones in syslog() system call.
40 >> Its raison d'être is the new features it brings.
41 >
42 > I didn't notice any new features. It's not features that are new, but
43 > just a new implementation of old features in a more obtrusive way IMO.
44 >
45 >>> Additionally, the use of "tail -f" and "grep" allows me to check the
46 >>> logs
47 >>> real-time for debugging purposes.
48 >>
49 >> journalctl -f
50 >>
51 >> Checks the logs in real time. Again, [1].
52 >
53 > Again, a brand new Wheel(c)
54 >
55 >> systemctl status apache2.service
56 >>
57 >> (see [2]) will print the status of the Apache web server, and also the
58 >> last lines from the logs. You can control how many lines. You can
59 >> check also with the journal, as I showed up.
60 >
61 > I believe it would be a 5-minutes job to add the capability of printing
62 > last N log entries for a service to `rc-service status`. Using cat, grep
63 > and the like.
66 No, that will not work easily for all definitions of easily.
67
68 rc-something has zero control over where the logs go and no standard
69 method to provide "hints" to the logger. Gentoo ships syslog* configs
70 that basically stick everything in messages, where grepping them out is
71 a PITA. I usually rewrite that config more to my taste and needs and
72 rc-service cannot know what I did. So the idea fails at step 1 as the
73 code does not know where the logs are.
76 > Not reinventing wheels. Not spending super-talented
77 > super-highly paid developers' time on doing tasks one had done about 30
78 > years ago. I believe, not having this option is due to its simple
79 > uselessness.
80
81 30 years ago we had isolated stand-alone machines without nothing like
82 the logging needs we have today. Whilst I agree with you that systemd's
83 logging tools may not be the solution, I can assure you (as someone who
84 has to deal with this shit) that syslogging in the modern world is a mess.
85
86 Try this: Decide you cannot afford Splunk, so do it yourself. Now get
87 your Apache access logs into the same searchable database your other
88 stuff is in, and do it in such a way that you can SELECT what you want
89 out in obvious ways.
90
91 Repeat for every other app you have that logs stuff. Remember to find
92 the really important logs which are usually sitting in /opt/ and
93 produced by Log4Perl or something equally abominable.
97 > This way I really wonder if at some point the super talented systemd
98 > programmers decide that all shell tools are obsolete and every program
99 > should know how to index or filter or tail its output in its own,
100 > though, open, binary format. I can't get rid of the idea that systemd
101 > uses the MS Windows approach whatever you say about its open source.
106 Alan McKinnon
107 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com