From: Hani Duwaik <kiawud@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] genkernel on sparc won't unmount initrd
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:20:21
1 I've installed gentoo on an old Ultra 10. I installed the standard
2 'sparc-sources' kernel (2.4.31) and tried to manually configure it, but the
3 kernel kept crashing on boot. So I installed genkernel and copied the config
4 file from the livecd.
5
6 FYI: The Ultra 10 uses IDE harddrives, so the root/boot partition is at
7 /dev/hda1.
8
9 When I reboot, ramdisk kernel loads up but can't find /dev/hda ... instead,
10 I can point it to '/dev/discs/disc0/part1' and it will continue booting
11 (mounting everything as /dev/hdax .., including root). However, during the
12 'hand-off' (for lack of a better word) to the real kernel, the system
13 complains that it can't umount '/tmp/.initrd/dev' and, instead, leaves it
14 mounted even after the system comes up.
15
16 To further complicate things, I can't even umount it (the /tmp/.initrd/xx
17 mounts) even after the system is up and running.
18
19 So far, it doesn't seem to be interferring with the function of the system,
20 but I don't get the impression that this is a good thing and would like to
21 know what I've done wrong.
22
23 I'm not sure if this is an issue with genkernel, silo (the sparc version of
24 lilo), bad choices on my end in configuring the kernel or a mixture of all
25 three.
26
27 Does anyone know why the tmp kernel (the ramdisk kernel) could not see
28 '/dev/hda' but rather '/dev/discs/disc0/xxx' until after the real kernel is
29 loaded?
30
31 TIA,
32
33 -Hani
34
35 PS: I'll eventually go back to a manually created kernel, but I'd still like
36 to know what I missed in regards to the genkernel setup.