From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:25:41
1 чт, 28 апр. 2022 г. в 21:20, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2
3 > ср, 27 апр. 2022 г. в 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
4 > >
5 > > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
6 > >
7 > > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
8 > > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
9 > >
10 > > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
11 >
12 > First of all, thank you for replying to my question.
13 >
14 > By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
15 > and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
16 >
17 > > Which terminal are you using, and—most importantly—which font?
18 >
19 > I am using xfce-terminal, and it is using Monospace Regular font on 11 pt.
20 >
21 > In Gvim, I use the same Monospace Regular font on 10 pt.
22 >
23 > I do not know which font is in use by the window that helps me
24 > to save html files from the web-browser.
25 >
26 > I have noticed this problem with cyrillic symbols and dots.
27 >
28 > > > It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
29 > > > files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
30 > > > not specific to any application.
31 > >
32 > > So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?
33 >
34 > No, as I already explained above, by "text mode" I mean that
35 > "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window
36 > for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
37 >
38 > > > For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
39 > > > cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.
40 > >
41 > > See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
42 >
43 > Unfortunately, I have not made a screenshot of this. So, I will try to
44 > explain:
45 > When I press Ctrl+s to save an html page from the google-chrome
46 > a dialog window is opened with the suggested name of the file that
47 > ends in "html." There is a dot before that "html" but sometimes it was
48 > not shown to me.
51 It probably should be added that instead of that dot I saw a white space.
54 > The same was with the top parts of some cyrillic letters
55 > (to the point that it was hard to read).
56 >
57 > > Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the
58 > text
59 > > wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
60 > > past with Konsole.
61 >
62 > I do not think that it was connected with overwide characters because
63 > the effect appeared not with them or beside them.
64 >
65 > This problem with dots and top parts of letters *faded*
66 > after I updated the freetype package this Sunday.
67 > However, I cannot say that it stopped immediately after this update.
68 > It indeed *faded* during a few rebooting after that.
69 >
70 > > > Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
71 > > > may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
72 > > > features and so on.
73 > >
74 > > Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?
75 >
76 > No, not only the gear symbol but some other ones as well, but not all of
77 > them.
78 >
79 > > Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
80 > > understand it.
81 >
82 > I was able to reproduce it just now and made a few screenshots.
83 > I will add "a nicely cropped" ones as attachments to this email.
84 >
85 > It as also interesting that the symbol in the youtube player toolbar
86 > that was shown only partially changes to the full one when I move
87 > a mouse pointer over it.
88 >
89 > > > However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.
90 > >
91 > > Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font
92 > rendering?
93 >
94 > No, I have not played with this. And moreover, with the same settings,
95 > it was completely ok for years.