From: THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] copy xorg.conf from knoppix
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 07:56:47
1 When I type in, for instance, this window (gmail in firefox) the
2 screen flickers with each keystroke. Also, if I'm in the terminal
3 window, for gnome, and type, same thing.
4
5 Perhaps flicker is a bad description. To the nake eye a series of
6 horizontal lines flash, about one or two per key stroke. The system
7 monitor isn't showing anything out of the ordinary, low CPU usage and
8 low memory
9
10 The above is from a previous post of mine:
11 <http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/msg/31336ef727b22073?dmode=source&utoken=t6ngLjEAAADgVNdyRavuKa2V505nGbPuV3QnxBqx2e1jEjgH7dFcK5_zTxGrO5GRFEj5DVDsfvcseCNLU2VYqhaMAnd-zwUR>
12
13 Now,
14
15 'Copying over xorg.conf
16
17 Let us copy over the xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf now, so we
18 won't have to continuously run X -config -- typing just X or startx is
19 far more easy :)
20
21 Code Listing 3.6: Copying over xorg.conf
22
23 # cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf'
24 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml>
25
26 Which is all well and good :)
27
28 I'm presently downloading knoppix, which has always run correctly.
29
30 Can I copy the xorg.conf file from knoppix to /root/xorg.conf.new and
31 then run X windows (as a test) using the configuration which was done
32 from knoppix?
33
34 (IIRC the gentoo live CD didn't have this problem, but I might not
35 have noticed. If there's a problem with using the knoppix config I'll
36 try with the live cd...)
37
38
39 thanks,