From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:54:41
1 On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:36:42 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > Am 07.01.2015 um 21:17 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
4 >
5 > > That's not what I meant, but I see your point about using --reflink
6 > > if making copies. My thought was to forget the whole tmpfs and
7 > > copying think, set KEEP WORK in FEATURES and use XFS for
8 > > PORTAGE_TMPDIR. That way most of the work is taking place in the
9 > > cache without the frequent disk writes of other filesystems. I
10 > > would expect XFS to be faster for this job, but have no data to
11 > > support that assumption.
12 >
13 > Maybe I am not fully up to date with this thread.
14 >
15 > You mean, PORTAGE_TMPDIR on xfs (on disk ... hdd or ssd) might be
16 > faster than on tmpfs?
17 >
18 > Interesting ...
19
20 No/ I mean TMPDIR on XFS might be faster, and a lot less complex, than
21 TMPDIR on tmpfs and copying everything to hard disk too.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 If the funeral procession is at night, do folks drive with their lights
28 off?