From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Brother missed in cups listing
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 17:29:19
1 Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:
5 > > Has it worked ever before (e.g. it stopped working
6 > > after an upgrade of so?)
7 >
8 > On my acer it has last worked in january when i correct remember.
11 Did you keep a backup of the old working config files on that system?
12
13 For me it's these files; I just append a date to the end of the file:
14
15 /etc/cups/
18 cupsd.conf.15mar2015
19 cups-files.conf.3apr2015
20 printers.conf.15mar2015
21 snmp.conf.15mar2015
24 That way it's fairly trivial to re-construct working cups files
25 after an upgrade has gone errant.....
26 Do you have backups of the /etc/cups/ dir?
27 If it worked on the acer it should work everywhere. Often I just copy
28 /etc/cups/* files from one systems to the next, rather than deal with
29 that ever_changing cups interface. Also, brother printers, like most,
30 work better in a linux/unix centric network when they are ethernet
31 connected. If you have your printers plugged into ethernet, then you
32 can connect to them (via ethernet) by just typing in the ip address of the
33 printer into your web browser. That makes checking the embedded printer
34 configuration much simpler.
37 hth,
38 James