From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel schedulers
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:40:06
1 On 15:27 Thu 13 Dec , Jason Carson wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > Where in the kernel config (make menuconfig) do I find the choice for
5 > schedulers. The one I am currently using is "Anticipatory". What is the
6 > newest and latest scheduler for 2.6.23?
7 >
8 > Regards,
9 >
10 > Jason Carson
11 >
12 > --
13 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
17 Like someone else mentioned, you can switch the sched on the fly, and
18 quite easily. From what I have seen myself:
19
20 Anticipatory seems to be, at times, faster than deadline, but not by
21 much. It tries to predict what will be needed next, where as deadline
22 makes reads/writes based on which will be the fastest (recomended for
23 databases and such iirc).
24
25 In my experiance, CFQ has always been the slowest. It gives everything
26 even time, and seems to cause alot more head movement than the other
27 two, which is a pain.
28
29 Best bet is to compile them all in, and switch them out to see what
30 works best. For me that seems to be deadline (btw, I am running a
31 desktop), but testing would be the best thing.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list