From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New Intel CPU flaws discovered
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 15:25:50
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 15/05/2019 13:14, Dale wrote:
3 >> Thanks much for the info.  That was my thinking but I have been wrong
4 >> before, more than I may even know about at times.  ;-)  I'll work on
5 >> updating my kernel but I rarely reboot.
6 >
7 > You make it sound like something to be proud of, even though it's just
8 > foolishness.
9 >
10 > Update your software and reboot. Not rebooting is not an achievement
11 > whatsoever.
17 It's mostly convenience for me.  My system is almost always doing
18 something, more than one thing at that.  It's been that way for years.
19 Right now, I'm downloading videos which is one thing it is doing a lot
20 of.  See previous thread about updating my system with larger hard
21 drives if you are interested.  Right now, according to the download
22 tool, it will be downloading for the next 4 hours or so.  When it gets
23 down to about the last 30 minutes or so, I'll start a fresh batch.
24 Also, I use my system to watch TV.  If my system is off, how's it going
25 to play videos?
26
27 What may be foolish to you is not to me.  It's practical.  I use my
28 computer more than I do anything else.  It's always on because I'm
29 almost always doing something with it, even if I'm asleep or gone to
30 town.  So while in your opinion it may be foolish, in mine, it is not.
31
32 I might add, there are threads on forums talking about uptimes, some a
33 lot longer than mine.  I recall one posting his had been up for years.
34 He stuck a old system in a closet, used it but since it was out of
35 sight, never thought to reboot or even blow the dust out of it.  He
36 actually was cleaning out the closet, to move if I recall correctly,
37 when he noticed it.  I can't recall what it was used for but think it
38 was some sort of file server.  It's uptime was over 5 years.  He was
39 proud of its uptime and the fact it still worked given it was a dust
40 bunny.
41
42 To each his own.  For me tho, I actually use my system a LOT.
43
44 Dale
45