From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:19:19
1 On Wednesday 31 January 2007 09:58, Alan McKinnon
2 <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]
3 Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles':
4 > On Wednesday 31 January 2007, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
5 > > Furthermore Pentium 4 is a joke (it performs horribly). A 2 GHz
6 > > (Dothan I presume) Pentium-M should be faster than a 2,8 GHz Pentium
7 > > 4. My timing is for an 1,6 GHz (Banias) Pentium-M btw.
8 >
9 > This sounds odd, but I'm not a cpu expert so can't really comment. Care
10 > to elaborate on why the P4 performs so horribly?
11
12 The instruction pipeline is very long, the CPU <-> RAM bandwith is quite
13 small, and the pipeline has to be emptied any time the branch predictor is
14 wrong. While the pipeline fills, the CPU works but no results are
15 visible.
16
17 Hz has never been a complete trump of other issues affecting CPU
18 performance, but is always a factor to consider. (Among CPUs that are
19 otherwise identical, higher Hz wins.)
22 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
23 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
24 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
25 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/