From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 12:24:53
1 On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:59:00 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > As I understand it, 'bootctl --update' can be used to update
4 > systemd-boot boot manager's menu and it is looking for bootable
5 > kernels by scanning /efi, /boot, and /boot/efi, or the directory set
6 > by passing the '--path' option to it. Manual addition of bootable
7 > kernels must be set via /loader/entries/*.conf (one file per kernel
8 > image) and then setting the default kernel to be booted in
9 > /loader/loader.conf. I find all this to be unnecessary complication
10 > for maintaining a boot manager manually, compared to using say
11 > efibootmgr. However, it is handy to be able to press 'e' to edit the
12 > default entry at boot time, or if new kernels are always stored where
13 > expected by the scripts of binary distros.
14 >
15 > For Peter's use case, OS and kernel resides on secondary disk, the
16 > solutions I can think are:
17 >
18 [snip GRUB bit]
19
20 > 2. Use systemd-boot. Copy each kernel from the secondary disk to
21 > /boot/EFI/ creating the corresponding /loader/entries/*.conf, adding
22 > the kernel .conf name and the OS root partition's path on the
23 > secondary disk. The root path can also/instead be included in the
24 > kernel itself (CONFIG_CMDLINE).
25
26 That's not how the systemd boot manager works. It is a bootable image
27 which then reads the config from /boot/loader and presents a boot menu.
28 As far as the firmware is concerned, it is always booting the same image.
29
30 The loader files are analogous to grub.cfg, but a thousand times simpler
31 (I may be understating that in my desire to avoid hyperbole). For
32 example, loader.conf here is
33
34 timeout 3
35 default 00-*
36
37 This never needs to be modified, it simply boots the first entry after 3
38 seconds. That entry here is
39
40 title Desktop
41 version 5.3.1-gentoo
42 linux /vmlinuz-5.3.1-gentoo
43 options root=LABEL=yooden rd.luks.uuid=luks-d879a686-39f3-4331-b35e-7744468b5ce3 rootfstype=btrfs rootflags=rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache rd.shell net.ifnames=0 init=/lib/systemd/systemd
44 initrd /intel-uc.img
45 initrd /initramfs-5.3.1-gentoo.img
46
47 As you can see, the only vaguely complex part is the list of kernel
48 options, and most of that is options for the root filesystem which the
49 kernel would need for any bootloader.
50
51 Incidentally, I use a short shell script to regenerate the menu entries
52 after a kernel change, like grub-update but the predictable orders of
53 magnitude shorter, so even that is trivial.
54
55 I have tried reFind and AFAIR it works in a similar way, although I
56 stopped using it as I wasn't interested in the fancy graphical boot menu.
60 Neil Bothwick
61
62 Why is bra singular and pants plural?