From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm login problems after recent emerge
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:45:45
1 Hello
2
3 On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 10:48:52AM +0000, Mick wrote:
4 > Happy New Year to all!
5 >
6 > I find my self in a bit of a pickle after a recent emerge. When I
7 > enter my username+passwd at the xdm login screen it sort of tries to
8 > load up fluxbox, but within a second or so it returns to the login
9 > screen. I can't see anything worth mentioning in the logs. I have
10 > downgraded baselayout, sysvinit and freetype but the problem remains.
11 > Any ideas? These are the packages emerged recently:
12
13 This sounds to me like the fluxbox starter (I'm not sure if fluxbox by
14 itself or some script that starts it with one or two other programs)
15 crashes. Did you try running revdep-rebuild?
16
17 And, if you want to experiment, you can start X from vt, lets say:
18
19 X :1.0 (on :0.0, it is already running with xdm)
20
21 then switch back to vt (probably different one) and start an xterm
22
23 DISPLAY=:1.0 xterm
24
25 then switch back to your new X (ctrl+f8 -- f7 is the xdm one) and try
26 starting fluxbox from the xterm to see what happens.
27
28 Did it help?
31 No, you will not fix me
32 Computer