From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 05:49:04
1 Hi,
2
3 On my embedded systems (beaglebone black, 2 x Arietta G25) I installed
4 Gentoo (of course!:).
5 Since these systems and especially the Ariettas are not as fast as a
6 PC the greater update, which additionally includes C++ sources to
7 compile takes time (read: hours) to finish. Often I run this over
8 night.
9
10 Since my PC do the forwarding of requests to the internet, it has to
11 run the whole time also.
12
13 To circumvent this I access the embedded systems via abduco/dvtm, so
14 I can log out while the process keeps running.
15
16 The current (shorted decription) workflow is
17
18 eix-sync
19 emerge ... -f (fetching all items, so the connection to the internet is
20 no longer needed)
21 emerge ... (starting the compilation, logout and shutdown the PC)
24 This includes "Calculating dependencies" twice of the same set of
25 data, which also takes a longer time. This is -- technically -- not
26 needed.
27
28 Is it possible, to do ONE call to emerge, which asks (according
29 to option -a, if set ) and given a yes first fetches ALL necessary
30 files and data and compiles then everything?
31
32 This would save one "Calculating dependencies" and also reduces writes
33 to the flash memory.
34
35 Is it currently possible somehow and if not: I would like to have it
36 included as new feature into an upcoming release of emerge?!?!
37
38 Thanks a lot in advance! 8)
39 Best regards,
40 Meino