From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Runlevels, ordering initscripts and running them in background
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:02:07
1 On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 02:15:19 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:40:26 +0100, Ignas Anikevicius wrote:
3 > > I want to do this, so that I do not have to wait while non-crucial
4 > > services are being started (e.g. fcron, bitlbee, ntpd to name a few).
5 > > Maybe it is possible to somehow prioritize the initscripts?
6 >
7 > Yes it is. The initscripts themselves have such a mechanism, using the
8 > before and after statements, for example making sure that network
9 > services are started after the network is brought up. You can add your
10 > own rules to the daemons' config files in /etc/conf.d or to /etc/rc.conf.
11 >
12 > To have bitlbee start after xdm either add
13 >
14 > rc_after="xdm"
15 >
16 > to /etc/conf.d/bitlbee or put
17 >
18 > rc_bitlbee_after="xdm"
19 >
20 > in /etc/rc.conf. Both have the same effect, it depends on whether you
21 > want to put all these settings together or in the individual services'
22 > config files.
23
24 Putting them in /etc/rc.conf makes it simpler to maintain the init-scripts
25 when updating packages.
26 I used to put these things in the init-scripts and occasionally forgot about
27 some of these during an update.
30 Joost