From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 07:35:12
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:12 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 15:59:02 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> One reason I use LastPass, it is mobile. I can go to someone else's
7 >>>>> computer, use LastPass to say make use of Paypal, Newegg, Ebay etc,
8 >>>>> logoff and it is like I was never there.
9 >>>> As much as I like Lastpass I would never do that. It isn't magic - it
10 >>>> is javascript. If there is a compromise on your computer, then your
11 >>>> password database will be compromised. This is true of other
12 >>>> solutions like KeePassX and so on - if something roots your box then
13 >>>> it will be compromised.
14 >>> I don't see what root has to do with it. If someone gains access to your
15 >>> box, they can copy the database file and then take their time trying to
16 >>> crack the password, but you don't need to be root to do that.
17 > Correct, it just needs access to the user's data or browser process,
18 > which could mean running as root, or that user.
19 >
20 >> I might point out, LastPass encrypts the password before sticking it in
21 >> a file. It isn't visible or plain text. Even getting the file would
22 >> still require some tools and cracking to get the password itself.
23 > That assumes you're attacking the password file directly.
24 >
25 > If you're using lastpass on a compromised system then there are many
26 > ways that can be used to bypass the encryptions. They could sniff
27 > your master password when you key it in, or read it directly from the
28 > browser's memory. These things are protected from sandboxed code in
29 > your browser, but not from processes running outside the browser
30 > (unless again you're using a non-conventional privilege system like
31 > selinux/android/etc).
35 One could argue the same thing with any password tool out there tho,
36 right?  After all, at some point, all password tools have to decrypt the
37 password even if it is only in memory.  At that point, it can be
38 'sniffed' out.  Thing is, if my system or any system I use is
39 compromised, I'll have the same issue no matter what I do or what tool I
40 use.  Even if I use the password tool included in Firefox or any other
41 browser, wouldn't I run into the same problem?  Wouldn't I run into some
42 other security problem if I used no password tool at all and just typed
43 in the same password for say 20 or 30 different sites?  The solution is,
44 be reasonably secure.  Nothing is 100% secure unless it is turned off
45 completely, maybe not even then.  I'm sure even selinux has its security
46 issues as well.  It is after all a OS that runs a lot of code and only
47 needs one flaw in it.
48
49 As I've pointed out before on different topics, if a person gets
50 physical access or control of a machine and is able to install things on
51 it, it doesn't really matter what one does unless they can detect it
52 somehow before ever using anything.  Given I only install things from
53 trusted sources, the odds of that happening are likely very small.  Even
54 my neighbors don't install much of anything because they mostly use it
55 to access financial sites and to check their email.  They are a older
56 pair so they don't use it like even someone my age does.  Still, if I
57 did have to use it in a situation, such as ordering computer parts to
58 rebuild, I'd likely change my more important passwords just to be sure
59 ASAP.  I already do that regularly anyway especially for my financial
60 sites.  That's another thing LastPass tracks, how long a password has
61 been in use for a site.  It reminds me of that sort of thing.
62
63 While I'm trying to come up with a good password, I don't expect it to
64 cover every possible case.  While I use LastPass, I don't expect it to
65 be a perfect solution.  I wouldn't expect it of any other tool either.
66 Thing is, LastPass does what I need and is likely as secure as other
67 tools that can do the same things.  I get that one can be hacked as you
68 describe but once a person is able to do what you describe, it really
69 doesn't matter what tool I use.  Even a simple keylogger can do the job
70 if I use no password tool at all.  I'm just trying to be reasonably
71 secure.  If everyone or even most everyone would do the same, those
72 little script kiddys would have to work much harder.  That's one thing I
73 read about while googling for ways to come up with passwords.  Over half
74 the people using passwords use some really awful ones.  Some use the
75 same one for a lot of sites as well.  Something we both know is bad.  If
76 everyone would put in even a tenth of the effort I am, the internet
77 would be a much safer place.
78
79 Dale
80