From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More about hal
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:36:41
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > When I noticed the thread here about `hal' that started a while back
3 > it caused me enough curiousity that i ran eix -Ic ^hal$ but found I
4 > have no `hal' installed.
5 >
6 > I have keep up with updates somewhat better than usual the last few
7 > months but don't remember when hal went away... I do remember having
8 > some trouble with keyboard/mouse, and hal not starting, but that was
9 > quite a while back.
10 >
11 > I don't remember making a conscious effort to get rid of hal either.
12 >
13 > Evey thing seems to work ok here. I do notice a problem on bootup
14 > where the keyboard/mouse I have attached to a KVM does not become
15 > usable until AFTER the grub prompt. Somewhere between there and the
16 > appearance of the login prompt it becomes usable. But that has gone
17 > on at least a yr if not longer.
18 >
19 > So is there something wrong if I have no hal installed. Is it just
20 > not necessary or has it been replaced?
26 I think it goes to show that a computer can work fine without hal.
27 Somebody nudge the KDE folks. Doesn't KDE require hal?
28
29 Dale
30