From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Replacing main harddisk
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:48:36
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Paul [mailto:gentoo@××××××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: 19 September 2005 19:48
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing main harddisk
8 > On Monday 19 Sep 2005 18:22, S. ancelot wrote:
9 > > Hi,
10 > > Download linux sysrescue live cd on the web
11 > > and use dd_rescue
12 > > bye
13 > >
14 > <snip>
15 > Do you mean the install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso? I could
16 > not find any
17 > sysrescue live cd listed.
18 > If I do a "dd_rescue" what would I do to get the initial
19 > console working?
20
21 dd_rescue is a very good command for rescuing data from damaged media.
22 You use it just like the dd command, although it has different options
23 (read the documentation to familiarise yourself with its intricacies).
24 BTW, if you enable the creation of a log file you'll be able to know if
25 some/which of your original data is corrupt. It may well be the case
26 that your data is not corrupt at all.
27
28 I had another thought about your console problem. It seems to me that
29 symlinks got screwed up. Did you by any chance tried to back up your
30 system while running it? Not sure if I mentioned it, but the advised
31 way to create a complete drive/system back up is to use a LiveCD, so
32 that your OS is in a totally inert condition. Otherwise you will be
33 copying a number of temporary files which are created only for the
34 particular session.
35
36 So, as a solution I suggest that you use a LiveCD (Gentoo, Knoppix,
37 sysresque, will do) and then execute any of the methods I mentioned to
38 back up your data. Thereafter, replace the old drive, reset your BIOS
39 and boot up.
40
41 Good luck,
42 --