From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problems with ifplugd
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 04:25:53
1 Hi,
2
3 does anybody use ifplugd successfully?
4
5 Assume a cable is inserted. Then i perform the following commands:
6
7 - ifconfig eth0 up
8 - mii-tool eth0 => works, shows infos about the link
9 - ifconfig eth0 down
10 - mii-tool eth0 => shows "no-link" even though cable is inserted!
11
12 The problem:
13
14 So assume i unplug the cable. ifplugd calls "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop"
15 and the interface goes down (same as ifconfig eth0 down above)
16 Now ifplugd polls the interface and waits until the a cable is inserted,
17 but this will never be detected, because mii-tool always reports "no-link".
18
19 So i assume that ifplugd was written to detect the when the cable is
20 reinserted - but in my case, it can't.
21
22 Is that a proper behaviour? I mean: is mii-tool supposed to report the
23 link infos when a cable is inserted and the interface is down?
24 I may have found a bug in the network-driver (bcm4400).
25
26 Can you perform those three steps with your network card?
27 - ifconfig eth0 up
28 - ifconfig eth0 down
29 - mii-tool eth0
30