From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about a strange emerge warning
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:31:40
1 On Freitag 18 September 2009, Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > Thanks to your support, I think I got a little bit of knowledge of how
5 > emerge works, so I started cleaning my USE flags (I had lot of useless
6 > stuff...).
7 > To perform such cleaning, I started with USE=-* and than added everything I
8 > needed.
9 >
10 > It hasn't been very hard (but quite long :-) )to make things working:
11 > emerge is a really cool tool.
12 > However, I got this strange message:
13 >
14 > * Detected file collision(s):
15 > *
16 > * /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/defaults/autoconfig/prefcalls.js
17 > * /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/defaults/autoconfig/platform.js
18 > *
19 > * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
20 > *
21 > * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
22 > *
23 > * net-libs/xulrunner-1.9.0.14
24 > * /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/defaults/autoconfig/platform.js
25 > * /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/defaults/autoconfig/prefcalls.js
26 > *
27 > * Package 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.14' NOT merged due to file
28 > * collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
29 > * content of the above message.
30 >
31 > If I understood, it seems that xulrunner and firefox package contains the
32 > same files (prefcalls.js and platform.js) in the same directory.
33
34 that is correct.
35
36 > Is it normal? Should I worry? Or I simply have to ignore it?
37
38 it is not normal and considered a bug. Should you worry - see that is hard to
39 answer - in most cases I have met, it is save to remove the already installed
40 files, because the following app is providing exactly the same stuff.
41
42 But sometimes that breaks. In your case - I would move the two files into a
43 backup dir in /root or somewhere else far away and save and retry. If
44 everything works as expected (firefox is working, nothing is especially crashy)
45 you can remove them.
48 > One more question : what is the difference between
49 > www-client/mozilla-firefox and www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin ?
50
51 -bin is already compiled. It is a binary package just like mozilla is
52 distributing them. Advantage: instant joy. Disadvantage: sometimes slower,
53 sometimes depending on stuff you really don't want to install.
54
55 Glück Auf
56 Volker