From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD 64 bit system selections
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:29:09
1 On Jan 31, 2006, at 11:58 AM, James wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > We'll I'm finally taking the plunge and building a high performance
6 > 64 bit AMD system. Oh, but the company paying for it insist upon
7 > windozXP 64bit, just in case Gentoo does not work. I'm really surprise
8 > some vendor is not listed on gentoo.org, as it'd make this purchase
9 > more straightforward, and It'd be a great opportunity to support
10 > Gentoo.
11 > Any 'off the shelf' system recommendations, or should I just purchase
12 > pieces? (Reasonable vendors that build systems and perform Gentoo
13 > installation here in the US?)
14 >
15 > What's the best 64 bit processor choice for performance for Gentoo?
16 > Dual-core?
17 > Complimentary ram specs?
18 >
19 we're building our own with tyan motherboards, dual-core opterons and
20 4 gigs of ram (for the web servers, single core and 2 gigs). They
21 have dual gig ethernet ports (one nvidia, one broadcom, drivers in
22 the kernel). Haven't found any 400gig sata drives, at least not for
23 a reasonable price, we're using i think some 250s with 3ware raid
24 cards (the tyan motherboards only have fakeraid). Man these things
25 SCREAM.... One word of caution...the amd64 boot image that's latest
26 won't complete a boot, and the older 2005.0 has broken 3ware
27 drivers. had to install 65-bit ubuntu on a small partition and boot
28 to that to install gentoo. and that ubuntu is NOT smp enabled, so
29 the build went slow until I could reboot into gentoo.
30
31 we're building "blade" servers...not true blad servers, as each has
32 it's own nics and power, but you can get 10 in a 7-u rack (I think
33 it's 7 u)
34 > Mobo recommendations (lm_sensors and acpi support) in a 19 inch rack?
35 >
36 > N+1 redundant power supply recommendations?
37 >
38 > 10/100/1000 Ethernet support?
39 >
40 > What's the friendliest high end video card for displaying video
41 > (fast motion) that has open source drivers? Multiple displays?
42 >
43 > Which Sata-2 drives give good performance and size (400 G or more)?
44 >
45 > What's the best Raid level to run for storing, searching and
46 > manipulating
47 > tons of video, and should I get a Gentoo friendly controller or use
48 > software raid?
49 >
50 > Finally which file system would one recommed for this video server
51 > with the best, stable performance.
55 > ideas?
56 >
57 > James