From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Finding packages which provide a file
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:01:56
1 On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:40:01 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > From time to time, I'm looking for a *not* installed package, which
4 > might provide a certain file. Say, I'd like to know, which packages
5 > could provide "/etc/foo/bar", how would I do that? Are there any sites
6 > out there, which provide a "database", which "connect" installed file
7 > to package? Sort of like a compilation of /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS?
8
9 http://packages.debian.org will give a clue.
10
11 AFAIK there's no database of Gentoo packages such as you ask for. Such a
12 database would be inaccurate, because package contents are USE flag
13 dependent, so anyone charitable enough to set one up would probably spend
14 most of their time fielding questions about incorrect data :(
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Crime doesn't pay? Does that mean my job is illegal?