From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:57:18
1 On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:00:02 +0200, Mick wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
2 vixie-cron keeps stopping:
3
4 >On Friday 16 April 2010 22:25:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 [snip]
6 >> ... and as for vixie-cron: When software doesn't act like it's
7 >> supposed to, breaks in horrible ways without giving me any clue
8 >> (like, "cron restart" works with no known init scripts on any
9 >> platform I have) and instead says "cron restarted [OK]", which
10 >> brings down 5000 Cisco devices as as a nasty side effect, and causes
11 >> a Severity 0 committee to be called, twice, then that software's
12 >> remaining life span on my boxes is measured in milliseconds :-)
13 >>
14 >> rant over
15 >
16 >Blimey! That sounds like horribly_broken!
17 >
18 >Which cron do you recommend for a desktop?
19
20 I switched from vixie-cron to fcron within a couple of days of first
21 installing Gentoo. The Gentoo handbook suggested vixie-cron, but it
22 proved to be a bucket of bolts. The version of fcron then available had
23 problems in those days (late 2003) with daylight saving switch-overs,
24 but these have long been fixed.
25
26 Consequently, I recommend fcron to anybody dumb enough to take my word
27 for such things. ... :-)
28 --
29 Regards,
30