From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More emerge oddity in chroot - SOLVED
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:47:17
1 On Monday 28 Apr 2014 13:32:05 I wrote:
2 > On Thursday 24 Apr 2014 13:57:19 I wrote:
3 > > So far I've done these things:
4 > >
5 > > 1. Wiped the whole system and restored from backup (heavy overkill, but I
6 > > wanted everything to be in the same, consistent state).
7 > > 2. Run bad-blocks tests on all partitions (though all but / and /boot are
8 > > in logical volumes - I don't know to what extent that will have affected
9 > > the results).
10 >
11 > --->8
12 >
13 > Looking at bad-blocks again, I see from gkrellm that 'mkfs.ext4 -cc -L Atom
14 > /dev/vg7/atom' writes the test patterns to both the underlying physical
15 > disks, but it only reads back from one of them
16
17 ... so it isn't much use on a virtual disk.
18
19 Well, that was a long weekend.
20
21 The symptoms grew stranger and stranger, until I eventually discovered a
22 problem with IRQ 16.
23
24 /proc/interrupts includes this line:
25 16: 0 302525 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, nouveau
26
27 The source file /usr/src/linux/kernel/irq/spurious.c says:
28
29 /*
30 * If 99,900 of the previous 100,000 interrupts have not been handled
31 * then assume that the IRQ is stuck in some manner. Drop a diagnostic
32 * and try to turn the IRQ off.
33 *
34 * (The other 100-of-100,000 interrupts may have been a correctly
35 * functioning device sharing an IRQ with the failing one)
36 */
37
38 ...and suggests booting with irqpoll.
39
40 So I added irqpoll to the kernel command line. It seemed to make no difference
41 at the time, but I haven't had any recurrence in the last two days. I see
42 though that, according to gkrellm, I have core temps of 52 - 56C and the
43 graphics card shows 59C. That shouldn't be hot enough to start raising
44 spurious interrupts: the nVidia web site says to expect around 105C as a
45 limit. Perhaps I should find a different slot for the Quadro FX580 card, to
46 separate it from the usb interface.
47
48 So, many hours and much rebuilding later, I've installed a new chroot for the
49 Atom and it seems to be working as expected. Actually, I reinstalled the
50 entire system to be safe, including re-creating the physical and logical
51 volumes on the two SATA disks.
52
53 The question still remaining is what caused millions of spurious interrupts
54 over a period of a week or so and then subsided. This is an Asus P7P55D
55 motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/).
58 Regards
59 Peter