From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 10:17:27
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 9 December 2019 06:31:08 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> As some may recall, I upgraded my rig to a 8 core CPU, expanded memory,
6 >> added a hard drive etc etc a while back. All of which made things a bit
7 >> faster. Each core isn't that much faster but the extra cores certainly
8 >> help in most cases. It is a noticeable improvement. There's one thing
9 >> tho that it just doesn't help much on. That thing is the emerge command
10 >> itself. When I run emerge, based on gkrellm etc, it always uses one
11 >> core and that's it. As one knows, emerge can take a while trying to
12 >> figure out the best way to upgrade, especially when something is causing
13 >> a road block and requires a detour. Will portage ever be able to use
14 >> more than one core? I'd suspect that if it could use all available
15 >> cores, it would speed things up quite a bit. It may not be 8 times
16 >> faster in my case but even 4 times faster would be nice, more even
17 >> better. Others that have more cores/threads/whatever could see a even
18 >> larger speed increase.
19 >>
20 >> I'm sure trying to get portage to do things in parallel would be a
21 >> programmers nightmare. It may not even be doable given how the tree is
22 >> done or that the complexity of calculating all the options is just to
23 >> much to run in parallel. Still, does anyone think it will be possible
24 >> at some point? Anyone else think it would be as awesome as I do?
25 >> Anyone know if it is something that is being worked on? I think I read
26 >> on -dev once long ago about this but can't recall details and I'm not
27 >> aware of any movement in that direction. I haven't seen any mention of
28 >> it in a long while now.
29 > Portage does indeed run as many emerge jobs as you have cores, if you let it,
30 > but not the calculation of dependencies. That, as you say, cannot be divided
31 > into pieces to give to separate cores, and I'm sure it never will be. Pity,
32 > because on a slow machine like my 32-bit Atom box, it takes ages.
36 The other bad thing is, it seems the clocks on CPUs have pretty much hit
37 a wall.  It seems that since they can't make them faster, they just add
38 cores/threads to make them faster by running in parallel.  Of course
39 that means emerge will get slower as things get more complicated.  Other
40 than a faster core, nothing else is going to make emerge faster it seems.
41
42 I agree tho, I'd hate to be the programmer trying to make emerge
43 calculate updates in parallel.  I've got a full head of hair right now
44 but I wouldn't if it were me trying tho.  lol  Heck, emerge already does
45 some pretty amazing stuff, despite its cryptic error output at times.  :/
46
47 It sure would be nice tho.
48
49 Dale