From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ppp connection problem
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:26:10
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 19:06, Moshe Kamensky
2 <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > * Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> [09/03/09 12:33]:
4 >> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 17:20, Moshe Kamensky
5 >> <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > Hi,
7 >> >
8 >> > I am trying to help my father install gentoo on a new computer (I am
9 >> > across the ocean). We have a problem with the internet connection. He
10 >> > has an adsl account. He runs pppoe-start, and it says that he is
11 >> > connected. ifconfig shows that ppp0 is up, and gives an ip address.
12 >> > However, I can't ping that address (I get 100% packet loss). He also
13 >> > can't ping any address.
14 >> >
15 >> > We called the ISP, and from their side it seems that he is connected,
16 >> > and everything is fine. I don't know where else to look. The log
17 >> > messages showed in the beginning messages of the form
18 >> >
19 >> > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
20 >> >
21 >> > but they seem to no longer appear. As I said, I don't even know where to
22 >> > start looking for the problem. Any help is appreciated.
23 >> >
24 >>
25 >> OK, this may me a little off topic. I don't even know where to start
26 >> when it comes to check your dad's connection. Being far away and not
27 >> knowing the exact messages, with no access to the machine itself, its
28 >> almost impossible to debug and resolve the problem.
29 >>
30 >> My advice: get a router! Configure it for your dad's connection, the
31 >> router will assume the PPoE connection, saving you the trouble. It
32 >> also will act as a firewall and even if your dad's computer fail, any
33 >> other DHCP enabled device connected to the router will have Internet
34 >> access.
35 >>
36 >> Anyway, my two cent :D
39 > Thanks for the advice. I was told that it is possible to configure the
40 > current modem as a router, and that's what I will try next. Generally
41 > speaking, I don't understand what is the advantage: the router also
42 > needs to be configured, and can also fail?
45 There are some advantages. The router (or modem in router mode) is
46 already configured, you usually just have to set the right auth method
47 (PPPoE) and provide a valid user/pass, and that's about it. It will
48 only authenticate when the connection is ready or keep trying till it
49 suceeds. You don't need to start the connection ever, you'll get a
50 firewall and DHCP server, and the configuration (usually a web
51 interface) is easy (at least easier than a ppp connection). Most
52 routers get all information and relay it (DNS, gateway) to their
53 address, or provide this info in DHCP, so there's no configuration to
54 do at your computer, as an eth0 not configured is assumed DHCP. Also
55 you can get rid of all ppp related stuff from the computer.
56
57 I only say that cause my dad's home connection was setup that way so I
58 would never have to spend a whole weekend afternoon teaching him
59 again, he turns the computer on and its already online.
62 Daniel da Veiga