From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 03:13:32
1 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > While it is good to have another solution available, I don't see
5 > any real benefits of FhgFS/BeeGFS compared to Lustre these days.
6 > At the time where FhgFS was created, Lustre indeed was unable to
7 > use multiple metadata servers, so this was a bottleneck. But now
8 > Lustre also supports distributed metadata, so they should on par in
9 > this matter.
10
11 Interesting thesis. I only have anecdotal information, from those
12 I've encountered who are willing to converse, privately. Many more sites
13 exist than are publicized as I think most (scientific) groups have a keen
14 interest in distributed processing, in an open source semantic.
15 I did notice the '9999' version of lustre in portage (science overlay), but
16 reading elsewhere I did not know it was still being actively developed?
17
18 > On the other hand, Lustre has much larger community (e.g. see
19 > TOP-500 list) and is much better tested (and even under such
20 > conditions it has problems in some corner cases). Thus I see no
21 > advantage in FhgFS for HPC setups.
22
23 Strangely, the folks I have chatted up do not publish their test results
24 as that would be quite a large undertaking to assure critics that the
25 tests are fair and equivalent, with the only thing different being the
26 local and cluster file systems. Lustre seems to have a bad rap, but that
27 may be due to folks testing much earlier versions. I'm no authority on the
28 subject; just trying to ferret out pathways for robust cluster computing
29 on gentoo; although containers are useful, my focus is on the
30 leanest/fastest bare metal HPC Opensource approach. to clusters on gentoo.
33 > Of course world of parallel distributed file systems is very
34 > versatile, so for different tasks/workloads different file systems
35 > are the most suitable, but for typical IB-based HPC storage I see
36 > no better solution than Lustre at this moment.
39 YES. But also these test/benchmarks should include Cephfs, gluster, and
40 tachyon if not many others. [1] Perhaps we should encourage some of our
41 gentoo-devs, to put up a wiki for gentoo-HPC, with at least a working
42 framework of packages suggested, including all the DFS tricks therein ?
43 Me, I'm just stumbling my way around to try to figure out a resonable
44 pathway to HPC on gentoo.
45
46 I thought that systemd was going to dominate these cluster-container wars
47 until I started reading up on Docker's acquisition of the main dev at Alpine
48 linux and the rapid movement of Docker to 'subsume' Alpine linux as it's
49 distro for releases [2]. Alpine leverages OpenRC and eudev and Docker is
50 preparing for battle with other container offerings, commercially, so this
51 does suggest that the performance battle with clusters is now openly
52 challenging the systemd proponents for performance bragging rights. Combined
53 with the question of the DFS, it does lsuggest some publish test comparing
54 these different approaches would be of keen interest to a wide audience.
55
56 The only test code I am aware of for HPC on gentoo is sys-cluster/hpl
57 and I'm not sure how well that will exercise the DFS performance questions.
60 > Best regards,
61 > Andrew Savchenko
62
63 James