From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Disabling swap & mounting /tmp on tmpfs = new standard?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:15:32
1 On Saturday 30 May 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 > > I recently disabled swap and mounted /tmp on tmpfs for a netbook since
4 > > the SSD is so slow, and now I'm wondering if that would be a wise move
5 > > for all of my Gentoo systems. In what type of situation would it be a
6 > > bad idea?
7 >
8 > Instead of disabling swap, just make it small (like 32MB or something;
9 > whatever the smallest allowable partition size is). The kernel needs
10 > swap to operate optimally, even if it's extremely small. Just make sure
11 > it's there.
12
13 Hmm, on this old box I noticed swap was using more than 135,000K earlier today
14 as I was emerging xulrunner and ImageMagick. I think that the size of swap
15 is relevant to the memory size that the box in question has. Not all
16 machines have found their way to 2G RAM yet ... ;)
19 Regards,
20 Mick