From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 02:38:17
1 On Mittwoch 17 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 14 February 2010 12:40:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 14 February 2010 13:02:48 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > > > > I highly recommend drivers to gain the skill of driving a vehicle
5 > > > > crash-style without a clutch. Comes in useful sometimes.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > :-)
8 > > >
9 > > > the point was not stick but unsyncronized ;)
10 > >
11 > > I know. I just felt like tossing sounding in that sounded awfully clever
12 > >
13 > > :-)
14 >
15 > I also like manual gearboxes and for some years I was driving an old Series
16 > IIA Land Rover which had straight cut gears on first and second and it
17 > whined when driven at any speed. If you didn't double declutch to go from
18 > 2nd to 1st and occasionally from 3rd to 2nd you would eventually end up
19 > with a box-full of gears and no forward drive!
20 >
21 > I also happen to own a couple of old PCs which I try to keep lean and I
22 > don't mind the odd double declutching to change gears. Now, I understand
23 > the development philosophy of KDE4 since this was very well explained, but
24 > that does not stop me wishing that the developers were a bit more modular
25 > in their approach. This is because I would like to use a few KDE apps,
26 > but do not want to have to download and install a load of ever increasing
27 > dependencies. I am after a pick 'n mix from the sweet shop, rather than
28 > being 'forced' to have one of each.
29 >
30 > However, the point has been well made by many. KDE4 is not KDE3.x and with
31 > KDE4 you get the full enchilada because that's what the developers have
32 > produced. Since I do not have the ability (or time) to fork KDE4 into my
33 > own flavour I will very much have to make do and be grateful with what
34 > developers care to offer. As I progressively upgrade my hardware all this
35 > aforementioned 'bloat' will no doubt be less of a concern, but as things
36 > are maturing in the Linux land my old laptop has been getting slower and
37 > slower over the years when running X. I can blame this on Xorg, but the
38 > applications themselves are getting <aheam> heavier somewhat too.
39 >
40 > I wonder if there is enough of a user requirement here for some of us to
41 > knock up a few wiki pages of how to build a slimmer gentoo, choices of
42 > lightweight WMs, desktop apps of choice, etc.
43
44 you want dependency nightmare?
45
46 openoffice depends on libwpd
47 libwpd depends on libgsf
48 libgsf pulls gconf in.
49
50 I don't need wordperfect, I don't want gnome. No way to get rid of that crap.
51
52 Even basic libs are pulling in tons of gnome crap today. Why? KDE does not
53 infest low level stuff. If you don't want KDE stuff, you don't have to install
54 it. But thanks to some §§$$%&§$@& even low level libs and apps pull in that
55 shit today.
56 If freedesktop wouldn't be that sick joke it is, such behaviour wouldn't be.