From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:46:52
1 Am 18.04.2013 23:10, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On 04/18/2013 04:43 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 18.04.2013 22:13, schrieb Michael Mol:
4 >>> On 04/18/2013 04:02 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>>> Am 18.04.2013 21:48, schrieb Michael Mol:
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 >>>>> My particular discovery was that if I launched WoW under WINE, and then
9 >>>>> launched a browser, audio in WoW worked fine. If I launched the browser
10 >>>>> first (which resulted in a flash applet being loaded in GMail for the
11 >>>>> purpose of audio notifications for google talk), Flash grabbed the ALSA
12 >>>>> device and no WINE application could get at it. Routing both through
13 >>>>> PulseAudio solved the problem.
14 >>>> /I can have as many flash instances as I want and still listen to stuff
15 >>>> being played in vlc. Without pulseaudio crap.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> Maybe wine just sucks?/
18 >>>>
19 >>> Easy on the invective. Did you pay attention to the specific sequence of
20 >>> events I described? Or are you simply reporting that Flash works fine as
21 >>> an ALSA client along other concurrently reporting tasks, with no
22 >>> reference to the explicit order of the launch of things?
23 >>>
24 >>> Incidentally, WoW+WINE worked absolutely fine with other ALSA clients.
25 >>> It was only when Flash got added to the mix--and was launched
26 >>> first--that I had a problem. Further, if Flash was launched before PA
27 >>> (and ALSA apps weren't configured to route through PA's alsa wrapper),
28 >>> PA itself could not latch on to the sound card.
29 >>>
30 >>> Also, it's possible Adobe has since fixed the bug. This was a couple
31 >>> years ago, even before they added direct PulseAudio support to flash.
32 >> the order is completely irrelavant. I start flash, xine, amarok, vlc,
33 >> alsaplayer, whatever - and it just works. Without pulseaudio, jackd,
34 >> esd, artsd etc pp.
35 > Do you say that because you've tested the various orders and know that
36 > one application will not conflict with another if started before that,
37 > or do you say that because you've never noticed a problem, despite not
38 > knowing the order you've started things?
39
40 because I am using linux since Suse 6.2. And in that time I have
41 listened to a lot of music, watched a lot of movies and did a lot of
42 things in parallel. Just yesterday I watched a music video on youtube,
43 while hunting for something sounding almost identical on my harddisk -
44 using vlc. So firefox&flash and vlc were working fine.
47 >> I don't use wine. For a lot of good reasons.
48 >>
49 > Name one.
50 >
51 fat, slow and buggy. Do you need more? If I really had an application
52 that I must use and is windows only - I would install windows. That is a
53 lot quicker and less painful than that wine crapfest shitting all over
54 the place.