From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to run X11 apps remotely?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 20:59:06
1 On 2022-03-22, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 3/22/22 10:41 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> How does one run "modern" X11 apps remotely?
4 >
5 > Xvnc
6 >
7 > As in run an Xvnc server as an X11 server / display. Point your
8 > programs at that display / server. Then have a VNC client connect to
9 > said VNC server.
10
11 I've used VNC in the past, and always ended up with a virtual
12 desktop/screen rather than having a remote application show up in a
13 window.
14
15 >> I do not want a "remote desktop". I just want to run a single
16 >> application on a remote machine and have its window show up locally.
17 >
18 > You can adjust the size of the Xvnc's display so that it's the size of
19 > just the application in question. You also don't need the full desktop
20 > to display on that screen.
21
22 OK, I've done that, but it's a little awkward to have to constantly
23 adjust the Xvnc display to match the application window size. It
24 appears that Xpra can handle that automatically.
25
26 >> X11 transparent network support was its killer feature,
27 > I completely agree. Especially when you start running different
28 > programs on different systems / users / contexts.
29 >
30 >> but for all practical purpopses, that feature seems to have been
31 >> killed.
32 >
33 > I don't think that's true.
34
35 Of course it depends on which X11 apps you need to run remotely. For
36 everything I've needed to run remotely in the past decade or so, it
37 was unusable.
38
39 The path to my remote host is also rather ugly. It jumps most of the
40 way across the county and back through at least two NAT
41 firewalls. Though the ping time is actually pretty decent (15-20ms)
42 for the path it has to take.
45 Grant