From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mediamanager tries to open wrong path
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:51:42
1 On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:54:39 +0100, Gerhard Hoogterp wrote:
2
3 > Does your camera use a removable memory card? If so, try putting
4 > > it in a card reader and setting the volume name with mkdosfs or
5 > > mtools. My camera formats the card with a volume name of CANON_EOS,
6 > > so it is mounted at /media/CANON_EOS.
7 >
8 > Well it does, but it does feel a bit of an ugly hack to have to label
9 > all my cards "camera" just to get hal/kded to behave.
10
11 There is a way round this. It is possible, somewhere in the config of
12 pmount/hal, to have devices mounted according to the /dev name only. I
13 can't remember where this is, but Google and/or grep should find it.
14
15 Personally, I prefer to use the volume name, because I may be using the
16 card in the camera or a card reader, and the dev name varies according to
17 which I use, whereas the volume name stays the same. It makes dealing
18 with multiple mounted cards much easier.
19
20 > Besides, the card
21 > isn't the camera.. so even on a logical level it's wacky..
22
23 If your camera mounts as USB-storage, the camera is simply acting as an
24 expensive card reader.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 "Bad dog! Leave that wire alone.....click.....###@*##....NO TERRIER