From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: usb external drive
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:28:15
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
5 > > /dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 7 HPFS/NTFS
6
7 > emerge ntfs3g - works for me.
10 Hello Neil,
11
12 OK, I'll give ntfs-3g a shot. It looks OK, except it says it does not
13 work with compress files?
14
15 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_NTFS_write_with_ntfs-3g
16
17 "It provides full read-write access to NTFS, but currently lacks support for
18 encrypted and compressed files and POSIX attributes. "
19
20 so does it work with zip, tar, bz and compressed files?
21
22 Looking at the above wiki
23 and this wiki:
24
25 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_Windows_partitions_%28DOS%2C_FAT%2C_NTFS%29
26
27 There seems to be some conflict on setting up the drive and the kernel.
28
29 Do I need ntfs support compiled into the kernel?
30
31 I tried to follow the first page, verbatim and got this error:
32
33 # ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows <yes I made the /mnt/windows dir>
34
35 Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
36 Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
37 Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
38 NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
39 The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
40 made to NTFS by this software.
43 But it seems to be working. I can cd into it and
44 edit files with vi.
45 Moving a pdf file worked too..
46
47 THANKS NEIL!