From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for wireless technology
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:55:14
1 On Saturday 12 November 2005 23:51, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:02:09AM +0600, El Nino wrote:
3 > > i have a 128kbps Internet connection to my home & now i want give
4 > > access to my college friends to it. (i already have two running
5 > > squid+firewall gentoo servers)
6 > >
7 > > I'm looking for wireless technology to do this. all friends are within
8 > > 1km.
9 >
10 > A noble pursuit, but I doubt it could be done easily... AFAIK
11 > IEEE802.11 is mostly reliable only for clients within 100 meters.
12 > Unless you live on the top of a hill with wide open space all around
13 > you for kilometers, I doubt you'd get coverage all the way out of 1
14 > kilometer. And if someone happened to be using wireless on neighboring
15 > frequency bands to the one you are using, and if that someone happened
16 > to be physically closer to your friend than you are, there's almost no
17 > hope in establishing a connection...
18 Actually, my brother works for a company in Virginia that is doing wireless
19 ethernet over distances this great or greater. I doubt the technology they
20 use will be cheap enough for this application, though.
21 >
22 > Of course, you could mean wireless other than 802.11, but I don't
23 > think IP over carrier pigeons or bongo drums[1] would do you much good
24 > either.
25 >
26 > If you have line-of-sight, you might be able to make do with a
27 > pair of directional antennae set up in the right way, and you might
28 > need a way of increasing the power output of the antennae. Any such
29 > modifications, however, is surely ILLEGAL in most civilized
30 > municipalities.
31 >
32 > The long-range wireless guys who have been doing stuff like this all
33 > have ham licenses, and are allowed quite a bit more power from their
34 > devices then us lowly consumers....
35 >
36 > Best
37 >
38 > W
39 >
40 > > can anyone give me a solution to do this?
41 > >
42 > > all advices are warmly welcome...
43 >
44 > [1] http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20030929-2886.html
45 > --
46 > This one's a bit....ummm...graphic?
47 > "Lagrangian Mechanics with Differential Equations is like masturbating. You
48 > do what works and what makes you feel good."
49 > ~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
50 > Sortir en Pantoufles: up 21:59
53 John Jolet
54 Your On-Demand IT Department
55 512-762-0729