From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:04:06
1 On Saturday 31 October 2009 22:06:35 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > Nikos is being kind to the document writers :-)
4 >
5 > Thanks for saving me from the Dunce cap...hehe.
6 >
7 > But I might yet acquire full rights to it..
8 >
9 > So, is the symlink not really necessary? Doe something look at
10 > /usr/src/linux for files?
11
12 Yes, almost every app that installs kernel drivers will go to /usr/src/linux/
13 looking for kernel sources
14
15 > For example, if you cd 'ed into the sources top dir. And started
16 > `make' (after the makeconfig step), would it matter if there was a
17 > symlink or not?
18
19 It doesn't matter at all. There's a Makefile in that directory and it will do
20 whatever it's supposed to do. The symlink to it is irrelevant and is only
21 there as a shortcut with a known name
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com