From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 17:49:13
1 On Monday, 21 June 2021 17:27:31 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2 > What happens when you get to the end of the handbook?
3 >
4 > I want to get a working Wayland setup with a (multi-user) graphical
5 > login. When I set my old system up ($DEITY knows how long ago) I seem to
6 > remember a page on setting up X, and all sorts of stuff.
7 >
8 > Now, you seem to get dumped at working tty1 prompt, and then the
9 > *helpful* documentation JUST STOPS. It doesn't even point you at
10 > anything! (Yes it points you at the portage page about how to maintain
11 > your system, but that isn't much use if you can't DO anything with the
12 > system...)
13 >
14 > I've found the page on Wayland, but it just says "set this use flag and
15 > install two packages".
16 >
17 > Where's the documentation that tells me what I need, and how to set it
18 > up, please ...
19 >
20 > Cheers,
21 > Wol
22
23 Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't work with
24 Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get with them is a
25 black screen.
26
27 Anyway, from a VT you'd run something like:
28
29 XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
30
31 or
32
33 XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session