From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Shell echo missing after ctrl+c
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 05:00:52
On 2017-03-19 22:09, Walter Dnes wrote:

> If killed with CTRL-C or "kill -9" or "kill -15", it doesn't have a > chance to restore echoing, and you get the situation you described.
Correct about kill -9, but properly programmed full screen programs _do_ install signal handlers for SIGTERM (kill -15) and SIGINT (^C) to avoid this situation. The ncurses library even does that for programs that link with, IIRC (it has been a while since I've done any of that stuff). One reason why you should consider gentler means before taking a SIGKILL (kill -9) to a misbehaving program. -- Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html